My Current Foundation Routine


I just changed up my foundation routine and skin care routine and thought it'd be a good idea to document both since I seem to have to change them up so frequently. My skin has been so crazy lately. One week it's absolutely horrible and the next week it's looking really good. Then it flips again. So weird. Even though it's been crazy I've never had good skin. Some of that is because of genetics and the rest is up for debate. Maybe I just haven't found the right combo of skincare and makeup that just "works" for my skin. Or maybe it's just one of those things that will always be out of my control. Thankfully as of late, I've accepted that my skin is just that - my skin. But that doesn't mean that I won't keep trying new products.

I've struggled for years to find the right color foundation and will probably put together my thoughts and experiences on that since I could talk for hours on that subject. Here I'm using a foundation that's slightly darker than my skin tone right now, but I'm kind of liking the look and feel of it. It's one that I already had in my stash and ruled out because I thought it was too dark at the time. Don't you just love going back, finding products you already have, and not spending money to get a brand new routine? I sure do! Anyways, I think I'll just jump right into it with a before picture. (Oh look at that beautiful skin. lol.)


Step 1: Primer + Foundation. Right now I'm using Proactive's primer. There's nothing I particularly like about it though. I bought it after hearing Kaley Cuoco rave about it many many times in Jamie Greenberg's youtube videos. (Side note: If you haven't watched her videos, you should probably drop everything you're doing and watch them right now. She's amazing, funny, and entertaining.) So nothing special about the primer from my perspective, it's just one I had. For my foundation I'm using Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse in Light 4. This stuff is super amazing. I used it once before and really liked it then too. It's super light weight but you can build it a little if you want to as well. I apply it with a foundation brush, Sigma F60. Since it is darker than my skin color, I HAVE to take it down my neck. My neck is always pale, but depending on the foundation color, I can sometimes get away without touching my neck. With this I have to include my neck, but it's so light weight that it's not a big deal.


Step 2: Concealer. I'm mixing concealers right now because of the color of my foundation, which most people do anyways, but it's still one thing I always consider a pain in the butt. I'm using a Maybelline one in Sand and the Revlon ColorStay in Light. I just mix them on the back of my hand and apply with a concealer brush, Sigma F70. I have started doing my under eye concealer after my eye makeup, so it's not done in these pictures. I'm currently using YSL Touche Eclat in 2 Luminous Ivory though.


Step 3: Powder. Because the foundation is a lighter coverage, I'm currently opting for a colored powder. Normally I'd turn to Bare Minerals for any colored powder but decided to mix it up and use a CoverGirl compact I already had. It's the oil control pressed powder in medium light. I'm not sure it really does anything about oil control since I have extremely oily skin, but I do like it to give just a little extra coverage.


Boom. Decent looking skin for someone who doesn't have decent skin. haha. It's certainly not perfect, but then again there's something to be said about letting your natural self shine through. What's your current foundation routines?

Popular Posts